Subject: Re: bug#65913: with-help-window arranges for 'inhibit-read-only' to be set to 't'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 19:55:13 +0300

> From: Christopher Dimech <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>  [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 18:40:16 +0200
> 
> > Yes -- when either the manuals have information that is generally
> > expected to be in the doc string, but we decided not to have it there
> > (e.g., because it's very voluminous), or when the place in the manual
> > where to look is not trivially clear from the doc string.
> 
> I think the whole point is that if the information is available somewhere,
> one should be able to access it (voluminous or not).

Emacs shines in this area by providing commands that allow such easy
access.  One just has to use them.

> > In most cases, the place where to look for the related information in
> > the manuals is quite easily found: just visit the manual and then type
> > "i SYMBOL RET", where SYMBOL is the name of the variable or the
> > function whose doc string you are reading.
> 
> There could be some information in the "Introduction to Programming in
> Emacs Lisp" that illustrates an actual serious problem and how to get
> to the information from within Emacs itself in an efficient way.

We already have this in the Emacs user manual, see the beginning of
the chapter "Help".  It lists the various methods of finding relevant
information in the available documentation.