Subject: RE: bug#6591: 24.0.50; incorrect doc for `catch'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:50:09 -0700

> BODY... repeatedly matches all the arguments folling TAG.

Irrelevant - just word play.

The point is that `...' typically means, when describing syntax, that whatever
it follows can be repeated.  That is, it is legitimate _syntax_ to repeat any
number of whatevers.  Whether `...' means zero or more or one or more is up for
grabs.  In the Oracle docs it means zero or more, so when one or more is meant
you write `X X...', not `X...'.

And as I mentioned, _if_ there is a need to specify the scope of a `...' then we
will need to introduce a grouping construct.  Braces are sometimes used for this
(e.g. in both Oracle and Common Lisp doc - Oracle just uses a form of BNF).

E.g. `X {A B}...' means X followed by zero or more occurrences of `A B' (A
followed by B).

We might have no need for such grouping - dunno.  If we do, and _if_ we also
sometimes use braces literally in the syntax (which I doubt), then we would also
need a way to distinguish braces as syntax symbols (meta) from literal braces.
I doubt that we need this either.  I'm just mentioning that it is part of the
machinery needed in general to specify repetition: just what is it that is
repeatable.