Subject: bug#65908: 29.1.50; Emacs 29 regresses on macOS

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:33:56 +0100

On Thu, Oct 05, 2023 at 07:11:01PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
> >   [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> > Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 15:18:42 +0200
> > 
> > I'd like to propose the attached patch for problem of invalid LANG
> > setting.  This simply falls back to "en_US.UTF-8" if LANG isn't valid,
> > or something valid can't be deduced from the locale.
> 
> Why is it reasonable to force the UTF-8 codeset as the fallback?

Both the macOS terminals I have access to use UTF-8 as their default,
and I'm not sure if they even let you change it. Therefore it seemed
reasonable to me that the default for Emacs should also be UTF-8.

> What about having a variable exposed to Lisp that allows the users to
> control the fallback value of LANG?

Is this not too early in startup for that? If not then couldn't the
user just use setenv and avoid this whole thing?
-- 
Alan Third