Subject: Re: bug#65908: 29.1.50; Emacs 29 regresses on macOS

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:26:46 +0100

On Thu, Oct 05, 2023 at 07:19:20PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
> >   [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> > Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 15:56:11 +0200
> > 
> > To the question of profiling.  I've now used the built-in profiler on
> > the two commits, but I must say that I don't see where the difference
> > comes from.  These are debug builds, 5 runs of the benchmark.
> 
> Are you sure you haven't profiled the same build?  The profiles look
> almost identical.

I'm wondering if that indicates the problem is in an externally called
application, like git. I notice VC is being used, and if I copy the
lisp directory into a non-VC'd directory and run the test there it's
significantly faster.

For some reason I can no longer replicate the problem though, so I
can't check this idea myself.
-- 
Alan Third