Subject: bug#65908: 29.1.50; Emacs 29 regresses on macOS

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 15:58:54 +0100

On Thu, Oct 05, 2023 at 04:09:36PM +0200, Gerd Möllmann wrote:
> Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Indeed. I'm tempted to say we should revert the change since I now
> > suspect I misunderstood how setlocale works when I wrote this and I'm
> > not sure it's actually improving anything.
> 
> I hadn't checked this before, but with the patch I sent, the slowness is
> indeed gone.  What a bloody mess, this stuff :-).

Yeah.

To answer your question in the other email, I saw the improvement only
by removing the setlocale in the "if" statement. Your code has
something similar, but it shows the speed improvement anyway, so I'm
not sure what's happening differently.

I've gone over the NSLocale documentation and it appears it explicitly
supports locales like en_DE, but the "UNIX" side of macOS doesn't. I
suppose it should be possible to generate your own en_DE locale, but
that's a bit much, really.

I also prodded at the fallback "system" locale, but it doesn't even
provide a locale ID, so it's useless.

There's a couple of typos in your commit message.

  Handle LANG on macOS differntly (bug#bug#65908)
                             ^e    ^

-- 
Alan Third