Subject: bug#65905: 30.0.50; Consider changing info buffer names to info<(org)> rather than info<3>

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 22:58:23 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Vladimir Nikishkin <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 22:04:31 +0800
>> 
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Did you try using "C-h R"?  It will find the existing Info buffer
>> > without your need to remember any numbers.  Just type
>> >
>> >   C-h R org RET
>> >
>> > I have dozens of Info manuals in my Emacs sessions, and I always use
>> > "C-h R" to get to those whose numbers I don't remember (which is all
>> > but the 2 Emacs manuals).
>> 
>> But it's not the same thing, is it?
>
> It's not?  I think it is the same.  You wanted a simply way of getting
> back to a manual that you were reading earlier in the session, which
> you still have in some Info buffer, no?  That's what "C-h R" does: it
> first looks in the Info buffers already present in the session, and,
> if not found, then looks for the manual installed on the system.  In
> your case, the first step will succeed.

Speaking for myself: "C-x b PATTERN TAB" is kind of ingrained in my
muscle memory to switch back to all sorts of buffers I know are open.
So my brain turns "Switch back to that Info buffer for the FOO manual"
into "C-x b info TAB", then I stare blankly at the "*info<N>*"
candidates for a couple of seconds, and pick one at random.

Point taken re. C-h R (which even limits completion to opened manuals
with C-u, neat), though switching buffers with C-x b is such a generic
action that I perform dozens of times an hour without thinking twice,
that I suspect stopping myself from C-x b'ing just for Info buffers is
going to be hard.

Not an urgent issue by any means; just one of the things I plan on
digging into someday.  Adding an option to control that call to `info'
at the end of `info-display-manual' doesn't seem too hard; just haven't
found the time yet (and maybe eventually I'll end up sticking a call to
rename-buffer in Info-mode-hook and calling it a day instead).