Subject: Re: bug#65905: 30.0.50; Consider changing info buffer names to info<(org)> rather than info<3>

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 22:09:51 +0300

> From: Vladimir Nikishkin <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 23:07:44 +0800
> 
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> But it's not the same thing, is it?
> >
> > It's not?  I think it is the same.  You wanted a simply way of getting
> > back to a manual that you were reading earlier in the session, which
> > you still have in some Info buffer, no?  That's what "C-h R" does: it
> > first looks in the Info buffers already present in the session, and,
> > if not found, then looks for the manual installed on the system.  In
> > your case, the first step will succeed.
> >
> 
> No, it does not do that. C-h R just prompts for a "Manual name: " in the
> minibuffer, and if I press TAB, shows all the names for all the
> installed manuals in the system.

You are supposed to type "org" and press RET when it prompts.  Because
you know you want to go to the Org manual, right?

> It does switch to the previously open buffer, if I happen to remember
> the name of the manual. But if I do not remember whether I was reading
> epa's manual, or pgg's manual (similar features!), I have to go through
> them by trial and error.

Then I don't understand something.  Your original request was to name
the buffer "*info*<org>", so that you could type

  C-x b *info*<org> RET

to return to it, right?  But if you don't remember the name of the
manual, how would you know to type the "<org>" part in the above?  And
if you do remember the name of the manual, then how does

  C-h R org RET

require more from your memory than

  C-x b *info*<org> RET

?  What am I missing here?