Subject: Re: bug#65905: 30.0.50; Consider changing info buffer names to info<(org)> rather than info<3>

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:57:57 +0300

> From: Vladimir Nikishkin <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 22:04:31 +0800
> 
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Did you try using "C-h R"?  It will find the existing Info buffer
> > without your need to remember any numbers.  Just type
> >
> >   C-h R org RET
> >
> > I have dozens of Info manuals in my Emacs sessions, and I always use
> > "C-h R" to get to those whose numbers I don't remember (which is all
> > but the 2 Emacs manuals).
> 
> But it's not the same thing, is it?

It's not?  I think it is the same.  You wanted a simply way of getting
back to a manual that you were reading earlier in the session, which
you still have in some Info buffer, no?  That's what "C-h R" does: it
first looks in the Info buffers already present in the session, and,
if not found, then looks for the manual installed on the system.  In
your case, the first step will succeed.

> If I open some manual recently and then forget its name, how do I switch
> back _to that manual which I have been reading in the past hour but
> which name I do not remember_?

That's what "C-h R" does.  Did you try it?  If you did, how did it not
"switch back _to that manual which I have been reading in the past
hour"?  For me, it switches back to that manual and to the same place
where I was before.  What am I missing?

> I also have a hack to show buffer names in window titles, and seeing
> there info<org> is nicer than info<3>.

If you want to show the name of the Info file on the title bar, you
can modify frame-title-format to use Info-current-file in Info
buffers.