Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] gnu: Make vice tunable.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 11:45:44 +0200

Hi,

Csepp <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> The fix would be twofold: (1) remove ‘-march’ and similar compiler
>> arguments that cause it to generate code that assumes AVX availability,
>> and (2) add the ‘tune?’ property for those who want a fine-tuned binary.
>>
>> Could you look into it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ludo’.
>
> Umm, it definitely solved it on my machine, which doesn't have AVX.
> If that's not a "proper" fix, then sure, I can try looking into it more.
> But it seems to me like `tunable?` is already working as intended.

What I meant is that someone installing ‘vice’ without ‘--tune’ will
still get a binary that assumes AVXsomething, which may or may not work
on their machine.

The default binary (without ‘--tune’) should target baseline x86_64.

That’s why we need both fixes I mentioned above.

HTH!

Ludo’.