Subject: bug#65902: 29.0.92; emacsclient-mail.desktop fails due to complicated escaping

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:19:15 -0700

On 9/13/2023 8:23 AM, Spencer Baugh wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> AFAIU, there was no consensus reached there, so I'm unsure what are
>> you alluding to here.
> 
> Everyone in that thread agreed that something like this --apply design
> (which passes the strings verbatim to Emacs without evaling them) is
> what we need, they were just discussing the exact design, and in the end
> the design that everyone who posted agreed on, matched what I have
> implemented...  I don't think we need to relitigate it.

That was my impression as well. Most of the discussion in that bug was 
among Robert (already commenting on this bug in agreement with the 
current patch), Gregory (who I believe supports the --apply design[1]), 
Lars (who proposed a form of the --apply design to handle multiple 
--apply calls[2]), and me (I support --apply, using Lars' semantics if 
we can get it).

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57752#119
[2] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57752#122