Subject: bug#65902: closed (Re: bug#65902: 29.0.92; emacsclient-mail.desktop fails due to complicated escaping)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 12:22:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65902: 29.0.92; emacsclient-mail.desktop fails due to complicated escaping

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65902: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65902
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65902: 29.0.92; emacsclient-mail.desktop fails due to complicated escaping
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 14:20:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 16:27:33 +0000 (UTC)
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
> 	Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> Thanks.  OK, spec-compliant version:

Thanks, installed on master, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.0.92; emacsclient-mail.desktop fails due to complicated escaping
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 02:24:20 +0000 (UTC)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The emacsclient-mail.desktop file fails on my system with the following
error:
"$1": -c: line 2: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `)'

My subsequent mail will fix this also vastly simplify
emacsclient-mail.desktop by adding a new feature to emacsclient to avoid
the need for complex escaping.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.92 (build 68, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2023-07-15 built on earth
Repository revision: 36d3460f9f6064c03fd88e0c969c8e4f4d645235
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: NixOS 23.05 (Stoat)

Configured using:
 'configure --cache-file=config.cache --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-tree-sitter --with-xinput2 CC=gcc PKG_CONFIG=pkg-config
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/nix/store/s3r15m8wbl4wqk4khqlf41ikryhjm1bi-file-5.44-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/f9jbn419h46c78z1pi49yn9a8742b0ql-gnutls-3.8.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/knq0pv08wm4dins7m4jh0n7cv7pjvdjr-nettle-3.9.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/dy8p07vrrhdgpnl45xz9c0k0didbikdh-gmp-with-cxx-6.2.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/6hkdabzyqhyq5ypq4c9b2cibr1d1zg1s-harfbuzz-7.3.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/hyns944pqgblw4icskylvlpm5krmfvcr-graphite2-1.3.14-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/08cdp9vgvy023ysfa2y01gzsm2jv6phx-jansson-2.14/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/nqlbk40lh7igs61l77dwgdkn8dc2akcm-libxml2-2.10.4-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/b3axl73v3yvqqx7g47njqb5wzxvm280p-zlib-1.2.13-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/3f2rc4inlcxmq11718qmz94v2rpybw70-ncurses-6.4-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/bxy745kyb1fwhpfkiaaz3wgvpkpvwcpq-dbus-1.14.8-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/9714v7c4cgpm4yqcyqk6n9xw9iq3a1bs-expat-2.5.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/zzi7pcadidqh798yddxv6pwdbwpkikma-libselinux-3.3-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/w14j7y5nl14vy4ikcivss35jmrqq3fxj-libotf-0.9.16-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/arhk7hsch4scyv6m24fw03yq6wq5wbbx-m17n-lib-1.8.2/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/1jbbrny8xcjb68lb5m30cvxycfkyhvsv-sqlite-3.42.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/5vx779yqkxaysv48gicwlgv0ippbrhc4-systemd-253.5-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/5vx779yqkxaysv48gicwlgv0ippbrhc4-systemd-253.5-dev/share/pkgconfig:/nix/store/djifahvk3qp06ssqxv6gy1ixdnnypr9s-tree-sitter-0.20.8/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/74aasy1d2r5y27zn68cs1rxwy1llzn05-libwebp-1.3.0/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/8sk7bp89iwb4gw96fq6xakb6lcy2x52n-Xaw3d-1.6.3/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/ppvb3ha8148am3ajnzxnm6i3ri38c01n-libXmu-1.1.3-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/jyxf8cjbj3nzh00x48nfram79i63chdi-libX11-1.8.6-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/zk9v0nr5zdfi1ybkhcfifmxsng7hfl23-xorgproto-2021.5/share/pkgconfig:/nix/store/3q1k18v8aa6mxs538bha4ry0mp3m321l-libxcb-1.14-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/hcscz68zvfk1skyb25wrnha959f6hhrc-libXt-1.2.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/kl55wj6qc3v481jsgvzm5w2csnhm84zf-libSM-1.2.3-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/s3f67kvsn55rxp2rc98xv0hkq364yci1-libICE-1.0.10-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/rsw4ri8025jgln8vpsrmg82bzgbcw3zr-cairo-1.16.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/jir0rqbcy0d9qr9kf5cwf2yphql4ykyw-fontconfig-2.14.2-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/n2g3xblaz1k4civv1z6hhm1nsmp3m17p-freetype-2.13.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/isbmyzm2shmp0wsjr4cy45v2i58h2zvw-bzip2-1.0.8-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/bl2qwy78jr2sqm260imgxmd5dzhjqvag-brotli-1.0.9-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/z96jh9ag5b3565lwwb5chjb9bfp5i2qv-libpng-apng-1.6.39-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/jjd4z18grhky6lh8n463v648nnf5628b-pixman-0.42.2/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/qd14wrazwcspjv3q65vgh35pl7b8nifq-libXext-1.3.4-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/gj8i21xx87ip9b971j2d1m0rmrzyhbir-libXau-1.0.9-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/4gpinwwdqhi927xkrfpr1hvdd56baxgk-libXrender-0.9.10-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/d1jbygs6hcn6dysk706i9zf07yd18wmr-xcb-util-0.4.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/hdc4ika0mb1cv0cf6dchwxbr004rc50i-glib-2.76.3-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/wxyh848a6xcqy2v8727vcwspri53pqwi-libffi-3.4.4-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/42jx72681qzliic0xsjhvx24cil2gapk-libGL-1.6.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/b9lmdkxpvgkj6zc956fvhshzisqpi767-libglvnd-1.6.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/gff29sbhg1gcw969mpm5rb693kj5v18w-libXaw-1.0.14-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/776xijk8rsb1b4c0dsxwq0k82bvm7mm9-libXpm-3.5.15-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/qizdmm43xi65mdngal8bpbpqcdc8290d-libjpeg-turbo-2.1.5.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/db7ix62fx4nvr9j1fjdvnznl2npff4pr-librsvg-2.55.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/q0hg0951w1dv9y40m9ggln8phwil6lxc-gdk-pixbuf-2.42.10-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/34rr5nvgljsc4bi3mxjxg8abmjr1f7hn-libtiff-4.5.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/zwkr4kjcjs213pw9mhzi46bzlw6qwxzq-libdeflate-1.18/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/6na552yzwml88j8g5vqf5h9ir3vw8myi-xz-5.4.3-dev/lib/pkgconfig
 CXX=g++'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Diff

Minor modes in effect:
  whitespace-mode: t
  envrc-global-mode: t
  envrc-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/sbaugh/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/sbaugh/src/emacs/emacs-29/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug mpv tq org-timer org-clock org org-macro
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-python
python compat ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
ob-comint ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-version org-compat org-macs vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs gud
noutline outline debug backtrace shortdoc pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu misc
pulse color compile etags fileloop generator xref cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
bug-reference find-func cl-print help-fns radix-tree mail-extr rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu dom nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok
whitespace log-view vc conf-mode dabbrev tabify man mule-util jka-compr
tramp-cmds misearch multi-isearch vc-hg vc-bzr nix-mode nix-repl
nix-shell nix-store nix-log nix-instantiate nix-shebang nix-format nix
tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 cus-start vc-git
vc-dispatcher dired-aux dired-x ffap sh-script smie treesit executable
project files-x face-remap exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm exwm-input
xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render
exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto
xcb-types xcb-debug lui-autopaste circe advice lui-irc-colors irc gnutls
lcs lui-logging lui-format lui tracking shorten thingatpt flyspell
ispell circe-compat agda2 envrc inheritenv page-ext magit-extras
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu
magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit rx log-edit message
sendmail yank-media puny dired desktop frameset dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc server
ansi-color magit-mode transient cl-extra edmacro kmacro help-mode
format-spec magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm dash windmove
easy-mmode pixel-scroll cua-base ring modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes
pcase cus-edit pp cus-load icons wid-edit savehist saveplace finder-inf
ace-window-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site avy-autoloads
circe-autoloads corfu-autoloads compat-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
cyberpunk-theme-autoloads debbugs-autoloads eat-autoloads
envrc-autoloads exwm-autoloads ggtags-autoloads
graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads htmlize-autoloads inheritenv-autoloads
magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
mastodon-autoloads mentor-autoloads async-autoloads mpv-autoloads
nix-mode-autoloads magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads
notmuch-autoloads persist-autoloads request-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads transient-autoloads url-scgi-autoloads
vundo-autoloads which-key-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads
xelb-autoloads xml-rpc-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 793112 58580)
 (symbols 48 42890 0)
 (strings 32 165901 6428)
 (string-bytes 1 8295556)
 (vectors 16 90751)
 (vector-slots 8 2007121 64111)
 (floats 8 418 578)
 (intervals 56 43463 2379)
 (buffers 984 111))