Subject: Re: bug#65902: 29.0.92; emacsclient-mail.desktop fails due to complicated escaping

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 10:00:00 +0200

>>>>> On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 20:46:54 -0700, Jim Porter <[email-masked]> said:

    Jim> On 9/12/2023 7:30 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
    >> tags 65902 + patch
    >> quit
    >> This patch avoids the complicated scripting needed for
    >> emacsclient-mail.desktop by adding a new flag to emacsclient, --funcall,
    >> which mirrors emacs --funcall and allows emacsclient-mail.desktop to be
    >> basically the same as emacs-mail.desktop.

    Jim> I think this is actually the same as the (very long) bug#57752, so
    Jim> thanks for working on this. (It was on my list of things to get to,
    Jim> but I just haven't had time.)

57752 got bogged down in design paralysis :-)

The idea looks good to me.

    Jim> Over there, we agreed that something like your patch is wanted, albeit
    Jim> with two caveats:

    Jim> 1. Since "--funcall" for the regular "emacs" binary doesn't pass
    Jim> arguments to the function, how about we call this option "--apply"
    Jim> instead?

Yes, that sounds right.

    Jim> 2. It would be great if we could get "--apply" for the regular "emacs"
    Jim> binary too, so that both programs work the same way (at least in this
    Jim> regard). Even better, if you could forward "--apply" from
    Jim> "emacsclient" to the alternate editor (which would be "emacs" 99% of
    Jim> the time) automatically. That works, in a roundabout way, for the
    Jim> Emacs daemon, but not if the alternate editor is "emacs".

Consistency would be good here.

Robert
--