Subject: bug#65896: 30.0.50; folding text with text properties prevents background from extending past the newline

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 10:51:22 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> However, what is the detailed description of the behavior under this
> proposal?  I mean, which 2 glyphs to consider? the last two shown on
> the screen line?  If so, this will cause the same problems when these
> two glyphs come from different buffer lines (due to invisibility), no?
> IOW, won't that cause the same surprising effects, just in other
> situations?

You are right. If the visible part of the line has :extend already, it
would make more sense to extend the face:

<visible text :extend t><ellipsis><newline :extend t>

The discussed issue corresponds to the following line structure:

<visible text :extend nil><ellipsis :extend nil><newline :extend t>

IMHO, <newline> after invisible text should simply inherit the face of
previous glyph (from ellipsis, if ellipsis is visible; or from visible
text, if invisible text is completely hidden) to get the expected look.

Does it make more sense.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>