Subject: bug#65896: 30.0.50; folding text with text properties prevents background from extending past the newline

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 20:14:21 +0100

Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> writes:

> After several attempts, I found a way to handle faces in the trailing
> newlines after folds without excessive changes in Org mode.
> Fixed, on main.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=2ade16bbc

Neat.  At first glance (including the subsequent fixup), it looks like
outline.el could be taught the same trick, right?  It would """just"""
be a matter of finding the spot(s) that map to org-fold-core-region, and
implementing equivalents to the org-fold-core helpers you leveraged
(get-regions, get-folding-spec, get-region-at-point) if they don't exist
already?

Not lobbying for it (and certainly not requesting you tackle that);
asking in case your experience with Org taught you anything that might
come in handy for generalizing to outline.el.  There already exist
non-Org uses of that package that could benefit from that feature
(e.g. diff-mode when the diff-context face has a non-default background,
or when diff switches include -U0), so I could see value in adding a
user option to enable that.