Subject: bug#65894: closed (Re: bug#65894: 29.1; Cannot map dead keys to commands anymore in emacs 29.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:05:03 +0000

Your bug report

#65894: 29.1; Cannot map dead keys to commands anymore in emacs 29.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65894: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65894
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65894: 29.1; Cannot map dead keys to commands anymore in emacs 29.
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Amic Frouvelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:03:30 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Would you please test this on the emacs-29 branch, not merely the
> release?  Several similar problems have already been fixed there.

More information was requested, but none was given within 5 weeks, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Subject: 29.1; Cannot map dead keys to commands anymore in emacs 29.
From: Amic Frouvelle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 17:11:55 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Let us say I want to map the dead circumflex to some command. In emacs
28, I had no problem to do that. For instance the following line in
.emacs.el worked as expected (in emacs 29 it does not work anymore) :
(global-set-key (kbd "<C-dead-circumflex>") 'query-replace)

In emacs 29, when I do
M-x local-set-key
and then press the dead circumflex key, it does nothing (it does the
second time I press it but for the character ^).
When I try to do it with C- and then the dead-circumflex key (my
original intent) it does not do anything even if I press the dead key twice.

-------------------

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
cairo version 1.17.8)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --with-tree-sitter --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo
  --disable-build-details --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
  --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
  -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
  -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
  -fcf-protection -g
  -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
  'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36350 9369)
  (symbols 48 5151 0)
  (strings 32 13263 1555)
  (string-bytes 1 375228)
  (vectors 16 9306)
  (vector-slots 8 148687 13544)
  (floats 8 31 24)
  (intervals 56 234 0)
  (buffers 984 10))