Subject: Re: bug#65892: 30.0.50; yank-media fails for clipboard selection that are wiped after being accessed

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 15:59:31 +0300

> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 10:06:35 +0530
> 
> BTW, I would be happy if I can do the above copying/cutting files from
> _dired_ without resorting to xclip(1) to set non-STRING targets.  I
> tried to do it with the facilities offered by Emacs but failed to set
> _only_ the required target without other things like STRING.  The same
> happened when I tried to copy an image to the clipboard.  I would be
> happy to open a bug report or some such if you're interested.

Isn't this the expected behavior?  The application that sets the
clipboard data has no idea what the consumer might need or would want
to do with the data.  It could past the image, or it could take the
image's meta-data (STRING) and do something with it.  Or it could take
the image's file name and copy the file somewhere.  Or something else.
This is why it is customary to put all the relevant data types in the
clipboard, so that the consumers could take whatever they need.