Subject: Re: bug#65892: 30.0.50; yank-media fails for clipboard selection that are wiped after being accessed

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 15:13:55 +0300

> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 09:23:20 +0530
> 
> I apologise for neglecting to speak out loud before the emacs-30 branch
> cut.  Is there a chance to get this patch in emacs-30?  I am using this
> patch ever since I sent it to debbugs and I do not face any issue wrt
> the pcmanfm issue shown here and other applications which do not wipe
> the clipboard.  It would be nice to have it in emacs-30 especially with
> org-mode gaining yank-media support for files copied/cut from a file
> manager.

I can be convinced to make such changes on the release branch only if
all they do is make a function whose return value was not interesting
to return a useful value.  But the patch does more than that: it
introduces pcase-dolist and replaces some FOO with (car FOO) in at
least 3 occasions.  Such changes make me uncomfortable, especially
given that this is a case where Emacs needs to jump through hoops to
work around misfeatures of some 3rd-party utility.

Can you rewrite the patch so that it will be clear at a glance that it
cannot possibly cause any harm because it just causes the same code
return a value?  If you can, we have a chance of installing this on
the emacs-30 branch.

And, btw, I wonder whether enough people use pcmanfm for us to bother
about this issue.

Thanks.