Subject: bug#65889: texlive-acronyms is missing dependencies

From: Daniel Meißner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:15:11 +0200

Hi Guix!

The following MWE does not compile with pdflatex using the modular
texlive packages:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{acronym}

\begin{document}
\end{document}
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

It yields the following:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix shell texlive-scheme-basic texlive-acronym -- pdflatex acronym-mwe.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.25 (TeX Live 2023/GNU Guix) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./acronym-mwe.tex
LaTeX2e <2022-11-01> patch level 1
L3 programming layer <2023-02-22> (/gnu/store/v4m2fj7xhpfs7k5l97p238j1bc2ccppf-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2022/07/02 v1.4n Standard LaTeX document class
(/gnu/store/v4m2fj7xhpfs7k5l97p238j1bc2ccppf-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (/gnu/store/v4m2fj7xhpfs7k5l97p238j1bc2ccppf-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/acronym/acronym.sty

! LaTeX Error: File `suffix.sty' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)

Enter file name: 
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I think this is due to missing dependencies suffix and xstring which are
required to be installed for acronym to work.  On page 10 of the package
docs [1] it reads

\RequiredPackage{suffix, xstring}

1: https://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/ctan/macros/latex/contrib/acronym/acronym.pdf

I can provide a patch if desired to add texlive-xstring and
texlive-bigfoot to texlive-acronym’s (propagated-)inputs.  The suffix
package appears to be bundled with texlive-bigfoot.  Do we want to
unbundle it or simply add texlive-bigfoot to the (propagated-)inputs?

Best

-- 
Daniel