Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: guile-fibers: Remove version from latest package.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 11:37:30 +0100

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Dienstag, dem 12.09.2023 um 07:58 +0100 schrieb Christopher Baines:
>> As I think this makes more sense, the version is only specified when
>> you need a specific previous release.
>>
>> * gnu/packages/guile-xyz.scm (guile-fibers): Rename to guile-fibers-
>> 1.0.
>> (guile-fibers-1.3): Rename to guile-fibers.
>> (guile-fibers-1.1): Inherit from guile-fibers.
>
> I think we could follow the scheme we use for GCC or linux-libre where
> we use versioned names for everything and then have a version-less name
> pointing at a specific "stable" version.  WDYT?

I think that works when you have a procedure for creating the packages,
but I'm not sure that's necessary for fibers yet. Hopefully we can get
to the point where everything is just using the latest version. These
changes do move in that direction though.

I've gone ahead and pushed this now as
ce22a756d066f3e329b183893d48ac3a5b627a6a.

Thanks,

Chris