Subject: Re: bug#65882: 29.1; rcirc doesn't rejoin channels automatically on reconnecting

From: Manphiz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:37:13 -0700

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Additionally, is it OK to backport this to 29 branch or even 28 branch?
>>
>> I don't know if bugs are backported onto emacs-28, the branch seems to
>> be stale.
>
> We don't plan to make any more releases of Emacs 28, so we don't bother
> with backporting fixes there.
>
>> The emacs-29 branch might be viable, but I don't want to decide that
>> myself.  If Stefan is fine with that, I can take care of it.
>
> I don't necessarily object, but is it a regression?

The reconnecting and rejoining channels feature is broken in certain
situation, and this patch fixes that.  Some other users claimed this
works for them, so I would say this may be considered a regression.

> Is the change safe?

According to the logic of the code, this patch enables doing work that
(I believe) should have been done and not changing anything else, so I
would say it is safe.

> If the answer to either of those questions is "no", I think master is
> the safer choice.
>

I would say the answers are both yes, but of course that's just my
opinion and the decision is up to you :)

>>> Or is there any automatic backport process for release branches?
>>
>> Not that I know of.
>
> The process is indeed manual.

-- 
Manphiz