Subject: Re: [PATCH gnome-team v3 1/1] gnu: gnome-control-center: Update to 44.3.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:37:51 +0200

Am Montag, dem 11.09.2023 um 23:26 +0200 schrieb Vivien Kraus:
> * gnu/packages/gnome.scm (gnome-control-center): Update to 44.3.
> [#:phases]<patch-paths>: Upstream already uses
> /run/setuid-programs/passwd. Querying the GNOME version is done
> through dbus
> now. Set up the test environment as gnome-shell, and run tests under
> dbus-run-session.
This can be "[#:phases]<patch-paths>: Adjust accordingly." imho.  For a
lengthier discussion, you can use the pre-ChangeLog blurb, should you
need it.
> [#:phases] <skip-gtk-update-icon-cache>: The icon cache update should
> be disabled differently.
You can drop the [#:phases] prefix.  Also, adjust accordingly – this
pattern is already well known throughout the rest of gnome and should
probably be put into meson-build-system itself at some point.
> [#:phases] <check>: Override the check phase to run under dbus.
Here, just drop the [#:phases] prefix.
> [native-inputs]: Add setxkbmap.
> * gnu/packages/patches/gnome-control-center-firmware-security.patch:
> Disable
> the firmware security panel.
> * gnu/packages/gnome.scm (gnome-control-center): Apply the patch to
> disable
> the firmware security panel.
> * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Distribute the patch to disable
> the firmware security panel.
I wonder what's this about the firmware security panel :)
The trio is usually 
patch: New file.
packages/module.scm (package): Use it here.
gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Register it here.

Note that you have two blocks for gnome-control-center now.  I think
you should the patch and gnu/local.mk first so that you can have the
rest of the ChangeLog for the "important" changes :)
> ---
>  gnu/local.mk                                  |  1 +
>  gnu/packages/gnome.scm                        | 43 +++++++++++++----
> --
>  ...ome-control-center-firmware-security.patch | 33 ++++++++++++++
>  3 files changed, 64 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)
> [...]
By the way, there's no need to send a cover letter for a single patch.
Just add your comments below the "---" line.  The biggest issue that
keeps me from pushing this is the reported crash; we should be able to
at least somehow get a working gnome-control-center even if it means
spawning an extra dbus session from a pure shell or something.  If you
can resolve this by testing in qemu, then fine, but until you do, let's
keep this on the wait list :)

Cheers