Subject: bug#65877: closed (Re: bug#65877: 29.1; line-number-at-pos crashes with args-out-of-range when ran using emacsclient)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 16:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65877: 29.1; line-number-at-pos crashes with args-out-of-range when ran using emacsclient

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65877: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65877
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65877: 29.1; line-number-at-pos crashes with args-out-of-range when ran using emacsclient
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Michaël Cadilhac <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 19:43:03 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Michaël Cadilhac <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 10:59:08 -0500
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 6:29 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > This is a cockpit error, not a bug.  The doc string of
> > line-number-at-pos says:
> >
> >   line-number-at-pos is a built-in function in ‘src/fns.c’.
> >
> >   (line-number-at-pos &optional POSITION ABSOLUTE)
> >
> >   Return the line number at POSITION in the current buffer.
> >                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > So the correct form to evaluate is this:
> >
> >   $ emacsclient -e "(with-current-buffer (window-buffer) (line-number-at-pos (window-start)))"
> 
> Fantastic, thanks for your help, and apologies for the noise.

No sweat; I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 29.1; line-number-at-pos crashes with args-out-of-range when ran using emacsclient
From: Michaël Cadilhac <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:07:42 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

How to reproduce: start with

$ emacs -Q

M-x server-start

Open a file with say 200 lines, scroll at the bottom, so that the
first line of the file is not at the top of the window.

Then in a shell, run:

$ emacsclient -e '(line-number-at-pos (window-start))'
*ERROR*: Args out of range: 146, 1, 1

This error is unexpected.  If the top of the window is visible in the
main emacs, this command returns 1.  If it isn't, it crashes.

Configuration details follow-----------------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
cairo version 1.17.8)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --with-tree-sitter --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo
 --disable-build-details --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils server rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 37743 8089)
 (symbols 48 5363 0)
 (strings 32 13739 2164)
 (string-bytes 1 390492)
 (vectors 16 9609)
 (vector-slots 8 155004 11315)
 (floats 8 22 19)
 (intervals 56 233 0)
 (buffers 984 12))