Subject: Bootstrapping without the daemon and all that

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:05:30 +0200

Hi,

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 at 00:28, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> * configure.ac: Check for ‘git’ and substitute ‘GIT’.
>> * guix/config.scm.in (%git): New variable.
>> * guix/self.scm (compiled-guix): Define ‘git’ and pass it to
>> ‘make-config.scm’.
>> (make-config.scm): Add #:git; emit a ‘%git’ variable.
>> * doc/guix.texi (Requirements): Add it.
>
> Moving the Git dependency to a daemon dependency tweaks a bit what we
> control when “bootstrapping”, no?  Maybe I misread or misunderstand a
> point.

The model in Guix is that there’s a daemon to “emulate” a build “from
scratch”.

One can question whether the model matches reality, and this is what I
and fellow hackers looked at during the 2019 R-B Summit:

  https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2019/reproducible-builds-summit-5th-edition/
  (under “Extreme Bootstrapping”)

(The ‘wip-system-bootstrap’ branch still exists!)

Anyway, we’re drifting away from this patch series!

Ludo’.