Subject: Re: [bug#65866] [PATCH 0/8] Add built-in builder for Git checkouts

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:13:46 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 at 11:24, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> If raising a warning here is not appropriate, maybe document in the
>> docstring the returned value as #f.
>
> I agree, but let’s discuss that separately from this review if you don’t
> mind (the code here is not new).

Since this change introduces a new procedure publicly exposed, maybe a
line in the docstring about the “contract” would help.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  "Like 'git-fetch', fetch COMMIT from URL into DIRECTORY, but fall back to
alternative methods when fetching from URL fails: attempt to download a nar,
and if that also fails, download from the Software Heritage archive;
recursive checkouts are not supported when falling back to Software
Heritage, return #false if all methods fail."
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Well, if that’s inappropriate, let address it separately. :-)

Cheers,
simon