Subject: bug#65858: mumi crashes

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 00:02:21 +0100

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for monitoring mumi. I'm not sure why these mumi crashes are
happening. I can think of two leads to start working on.

1. I see many lines such as those below that warn of garbage collection
issues with "repeated allocations of large blocks". I am not sure, but
this sounds like some limitation of the guile garbage collector. I
suspect these warnings arise because the guile-email parser thrashes the
garbage collector too much. I could look into rewriting parts of
guile-email to be more careful with memory use.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
2023-09-09 16:21:00 GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 16777216):
2023-09-09 16:21:00 	May lead to memory leak and poor performance
2023-09-09 16:30:24 GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 16138240):
2023-09-09 16:30:24 	May lead to memory leak and poor performance
2023-09-09 16:39:11 GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 16781312):
2023-09-09 16:39:11 	May lead to memory leak and poor performance
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

2. If there is a specific query that causes mumi to crash, I'd like to
find out. This could be a GraphQL query. Unfortunately the actual
GraphQL document lives in the query part of the URI, and we don't log
the query part. I can patch mumi to log the query part.

WDYT?

Regards,
Arun