Subject: Re: bug#6585: 23.1; Hang / CPU 100% on background interaction when in minibuffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 19:52:24 +0300

> Date: Thu,  8 Jul 2010 16:19:06 +0200 (CEST)
> From: [email-masked] (Jason Cornez)
> Cc: 
> 
> However, if I am currently interacting with emacs in the minibuffer at
> the time the lisp tries to open the new window, then emacs hangs and
> consumes 100% CPU (for one core).  By "iteracting" I simply mean that
> the emacs focus is in the minibuffer, such as for C-x C-f.  I don't
> need to be actively typing or anything.  That is, the minibuffer is
> active.
> 
> The emacs process seems to be entirely unresponsive: the cursor stops
> blinking, no keyboard input is accepted, the menus do not activate,
> sending commands like "emacsclient -e '(abort-recursive-edit)'" just
> hang and do nothing.  The only thing I can do is kill the emacs
> process.

You can help debugging this if you attach GDB to Emacs when it hangs
like that, and see where it is looping.  The file etc/DEBUG in the
Emacs source tree has some advice how to debug these problems, under
"If the symptom of the bug is that Emacs fails to respond".