Subject: bug#65840: 29.1; desktop-load moves frames to the right and down

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 15:59:38 +0300

> Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 12:32:42 -0000
> From: tanzer--- via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> In GNU Emacs 29.1, desktop-load moves frames to the right and down.

This is probably specific to macOS, or maybe even to your window
manager, because it doesn't happen to me, and I'm a heavy user of
desktop.el.

When you say "In GNU Emacs 29.1", do you mean this issue is specific
to Emacs 29.1, and does not happen with Emacs 28 and older?

> The three attachements show the shifts in frame positions:
> 
> - .emacs.desktop.1 contains the correct frame positions after using
>   `desktop-save` and copying .emacs.desktop to .emacs.desktop.1
> 
> - Loading .emacs.desktop.1 into Emacs 29 results in the frames being
>   shifted. On exiting Emacs 29, the shifted positions are stored in
>   .emacs.desktop and copied to .emacs.desktop.2.
> 
> - Loading .emacs.desktop.2 into Emacs 29 results in the frames being
>   shifted again. On exiting Emacs 29, the shifted positions are stored
>   in .emacs.desktop and copied to .emacs.desktop.3.
> 
> - Loading any of these .emacs.desktop files into Emacs 28.2 results in
>   the expected frame positions (in case of .2 and .3 the positions
>   incorrectly shifted to by Emacs 29).

You are aware, I hope, that on X and similar GUI systems, the
coordinates of the frames we request from the window-manager are
advisory: the WM doesn't have to adhere to what we request.  I'm not
sure what you see is not a manifestation of that.

Po Lu, can you chime in, please?