Subject: 23.2; M-p (comint-previous-input) breaks intermittently in telnet-mode.

From: David Keegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:43:37 +0100

Enter telnet-mode via the rsh command with
remote-shell-program set to "ssh" in a situation where ssh
keys have been set up for the remote host and therefore
there is no password prompt.

The telnet-mode code continues trying figure out the type of
system it is connected to via telnet-initial-filter for a
much longer perioud than normal. Depending on the output
from the remote host, the following issues may arise:

1. M-p (comint-previous-input) breaks. Instead of retrieving
the previous command to the RHS of the prompt it places it
on the LHS of the prompt where it is useless.

This is caused by function
telnet-check-software-type-initialize which sets
comint-prompt-regexp inappropriately to "^[^*>\n]*[*>] *"
when it sees "its" in the remote host output.

2. Spurious prompts for a password if "passw" happens to
occur in the remote host output.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-05-13 on x86-01.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.10800000
configured using `configure  '--build=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' '--host=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xft' '--with-xpm' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i686 -mtune=atom -fasynchronous-unwind-tables''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Apropos

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x e s h e l l <tab> - r e <tab> <return> T e l n 
e t / r s h C-g <M-insert> j C-g C-n C-n <return> C-a 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p <M-insert> 
C-n n n n <return> C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-f 
C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f 
C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-a M-x s s h <return> <return> C-h k M-p C-x o C-f 
C-b C-SPC C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f 
C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f 
C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f 
C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-b C-w C-y M-o <M-insert> 
n n <return> <M-insert> C-n n C-p C-p <return> M-x 
e s h e l l - r e p o r t C-g M-x s p r o p <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> a p 
r o p o s <return> b u g <return> C-x o C-v C-v C-v 
C-v M-x <up> C-g C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n <return> C-x o M-o M-o M-x M-< M-X 
M-< C-g M-< <M-insert> C-n C-p <return> M-< <C-delete> 
M-x a p r o p o s <return> b u g SPC r e p o r t <return> 
C-x o C-l C-l C-s t e l n e t C-a C-v M-v M-x r e p 
o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Quit
Mark set
<<< Press Return to bury the buffer list >>>
Mark set
/usr/src/emacs-23.2/lisp/net/telnet.el
Mark saved where search started
Checking for POP3 mail...
<<< Press Return to bury the buffer list >>> [2 times]
/home/davidk/Work/Env/ssl/Notes/ssl.nb
<<< Press Return to bury the buffer list >>>

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/csv-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/goodies/csv-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/goodies/emacs-goodies-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/emacs-goodies-loaddefs
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/nnir hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/gnus/nnir
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/spam-stat hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/gnus/spam-stat
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/nnnil hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/gnus/nnnil

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message idna ecomplete rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader
mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils warnings pp cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit mule-util vm-virtual doc-view jka-compr
image-mode dired vm-delete vm-crypto vm-pop vm-save tapestry
vm-rfaddons vm-menu vm-window vm-toolbar vm-folder vm-mime
vm-undo vm-summary vm-mouse vm-page vm-motion vm-minibuf
vm-message vm-misc vm-macro vm emacsbug help-mode view
apropos multi-isearch ebuff-menu electric dkdDo vc-git
dknNoteBook derived dkmMisc ansi-color smtpmail sendmail
tramp-imap tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache
tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util netrc
time-date password-cache format-spec tramp-compat trampver
complete icomplete paren time byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
telnet ps-print ps-def lpr crypt crypt++ crypt+pgp-pub
server gtags autorevert advice help-fns advice-preload
u-vm-color vm-autoloads vm-vars vm-version ess-toolbar
ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv
ess-noweb noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d
ess-sas-l ess-sas-a executable shell ess-arc-d ess-vst-d
ess-xls-d ess-lsp-l ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs
make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp5-d ess-sp3-d ess-r-d ess-r-args
assoc ess-s-l ess-inf ess-utils comint ring ess-mode
noweb-mode ess ess-custom regexp-opt easymenu ess-compat
ess-site emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode bbdb-autoloads
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face
files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
[David Keegan [email-masked] 353 1 2710818]