Subject: bug#65819: closed (Re: bug#65819: 29.1; Incorrect description about return value)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 11:43:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65819: 29.1; Incorrect description about return value

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65819: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65819
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65819: 29.1; Incorrect description about return value
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 14:41:49 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 19:10:55 +0900
> 
> 
> The elisp reference info node `(elisp) Motion by Indent' states that
> `backward-to-indentation' and `forward-to-indentation' return nil.
> However, they actually return non-nil value.
> 
> Either the description in the elisp reference or the implementaion of
> the commands should be corrected.

Thanks.  The return value can be anything and is not important, so
I've removed the incorrect information from the ELisp manual on the
emacs-29 branch.  I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 29.1; Incorrect description about return value
From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 19:10:55 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The elisp reference info node `(elisp) Motion by Indent' states that
`backward-to-indentation' and `forward-to-indentation' return nil.
However, they actually return non-nil value.

Either the description in the elisp reference or the implementaion of
the commands should be corrected.

,----[ (elisp) Motion by Indent ]
|  -- Command: backward-to-indentation &optional arg
|      This command moves point backward ARG lines and then to the first
|      nonblank character on that line.  It returns ‘nil’.  If ARG is
|      omitted or ‘nil’, it defaults to 1.
| 
|  -- Command: forward-to-indentation &optional arg
|      This command moves point forward ARG lines and then to the first
|      nonblank character on that line.  It returns ‘nil’.  If ARG is
|      omitted or ‘nil’, it defaults to 1.
`----
,----[ simple.el ]
| (defun forward-to-indentation (&optional arg)
|   "Move forward ARG lines and position at first nonblank character."
|   (interactive "^p")
|   (forward-line (or arg 1))
|   (skip-chars-forward " \t"))
| 
| (defun backward-to-indentation (&optional arg)
|   "Move backward ARG lines and position at first nonblank character."
|   (interactive "^p")
|   (forward-line (- (or arg 1)))
|   (skip-chars-forward " \t"))
`----

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-freebsd13.2, GTK+ Version
3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.4)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: 13.2-RELEASE-p2

Configured using:
 'configure --with-canna --with-canna-includes=/usr/local/canna/include
--with-canna-libraries=/usr/local/canna/lib --without-xim
--disable-largefile --without-modules --with-sound=yes
--with-file-notification=yes --disable-build-details
--localstatedir=/var --without-gconf --without-libsystemd
--without-selinux CFLAGS=-O3'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBXML2 NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/keita/elisp:
  value of $LANG: ja_JP.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: MH-Folder

Minor modes in effect:
  hl-line-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/keita/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230825.2019/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/transient
/home/keita/elisp/reftex-parse hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/textmodes/reftex-parse
/home/keita/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-inspect hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/home/keita/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-client hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(shadow mh-identity mh-comp emacsbug jka-compr pp cl-print help-fns
radix-tree mule-util mh-search mh-letter flow-fill smiley qp mm-archive
mail-extr mh-mime mh-gnus mh-alias mh-show goto-addr gnus-cite gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-win gnus-range gnus nnheader range wid-edit
mh-inc hl-line mh-tool-bar mh-acros mh-seq mh-xface mh-utils mh-folder
mh-scan mh-e mh-buffers mh-loaddefs magit-extras preview reftex-dcr
reftex-auc reftex reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars tex-bar toolbar-x noutline
outline font-latex latex latex-flymake flymake-proc flymake project
warnings icons thingatpt tex-ispell tex-style tex dbus xml texmathp
tex-mode compile latexenc misearch multi-isearch vc-git vc-dispatcher
bug-reference face-remap magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode easy-mmode
git-commit rx log-edit message sendmail yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ring server
ansi-color magit-mode transient cl-extra edmacro kmacro help-mode
magit-git magit-base magit-section format-spec cursor-sensor crm dash
compat preview-latex tex-site canna-im magit-autoloads pcase
git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads
transient-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib japan-util rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 374913 42593)
 (symbols 48 26057 0)
 (strings 32 100327 10777)
 (string-bytes 1 3053530)
 (vectors 16 59138)
 (vector-slots 8 1060113 98331)
 (floats 8 299 372)
 (intervals 56 17879 33)
 (buffers 976 32))