Subject: bug#65819: 29.1; Incorrect description about return value

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 19:10:55 +0900

The elisp reference info node `(elisp) Motion by Indent' states that
`backward-to-indentation' and `forward-to-indentation' return nil.
However, they actually return non-nil value.

Either the description in the elisp reference or the implementaion of
the commands should be corrected.

,----[ (elisp) Motion by Indent ]
|  -- Command: backward-to-indentation &optional arg
|      This command moves point backward ARG lines and then to the first
|      nonblank character on that line.  It returns ‘nil’.  If ARG is
|      omitted or ‘nil’, it defaults to 1.
| 
|  -- Command: forward-to-indentation &optional arg
|      This command moves point forward ARG lines and then to the first
|      nonblank character on that line.  It returns ‘nil’.  If ARG is
|      omitted or ‘nil’, it defaults to 1.
`----
,----[ simple.el ]
| (defun forward-to-indentation (&optional arg)
|   "Move forward ARG lines and position at first nonblank character."
|   (interactive "^p")
|   (forward-line (or arg 1))
|   (skip-chars-forward " \t"))
| 
| (defun backward-to-indentation (&optional arg)
|   "Move backward ARG lines and position at first nonblank character."
|   (interactive "^p")
|   (forward-line (- (or arg 1)))
|   (skip-chars-forward " \t"))
`----

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-freebsd13.2, GTK+ Version
3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.4)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: 13.2-RELEASE-p2

Configured using:
 'configure --with-canna --with-canna-includes=/usr/local/canna/include
--with-canna-libraries=/usr/local/canna/lib --without-xim
--disable-largefile --without-modules --with-sound=yes
--with-file-notification=yes --disable-build-details
--localstatedir=/var --without-gconf --without-libsystemd
--without-selinux CFLAGS=-O3'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBXML2 NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/keita/elisp:
  value of $LANG: ja_JP.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: MH-Folder

Minor modes in effect:
  hl-line-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/keita/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230825.2019/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/transient
/home/keita/elisp/reftex-parse hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/textmodes/reftex-parse
/home/keita/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-inspect hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/home/keita/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-client hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(shadow mh-identity mh-comp emacsbug jka-compr pp cl-print help-fns
radix-tree mule-util mh-search mh-letter flow-fill smiley qp mm-archive
mail-extr mh-mime mh-gnus mh-alias mh-show goto-addr gnus-cite gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-win gnus-range gnus nnheader range wid-edit
mh-inc hl-line mh-tool-bar mh-acros mh-seq mh-xface mh-utils mh-folder
mh-scan mh-e mh-buffers mh-loaddefs magit-extras preview reftex-dcr
reftex-auc reftex reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars tex-bar toolbar-x noutline
outline font-latex latex latex-flymake flymake-proc flymake project
warnings icons thingatpt tex-ispell tex-style tex dbus xml texmathp
tex-mode compile latexenc misearch multi-isearch vc-git vc-dispatcher
bug-reference face-remap magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode easy-mmode
git-commit rx log-edit message sendmail yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ring server
ansi-color magit-mode transient cl-extra edmacro kmacro help-mode
magit-git magit-base magit-section format-spec cursor-sensor crm dash
compat preview-latex tex-site canna-im magit-autoloads pcase
git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads
transient-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib japan-util rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 374913 42593)
 (symbols 48 26057 0)
 (strings 32 100327 10777)
 (string-bytes 1 3053530)
 (vectors 16 59138)
 (vector-slots 8 1060113 98331)
 (floats 8 299 372)
 (intervals 56 17879 33)
 (buffers 976 32))