Subject: bug#65810: 30.0.50; C-M-f and related functions error out in c++-ts-mode

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 18:48:07 +0100

Hi maintainers,

This is simple to reproduce, I think:

  > ~/Source/Emacs/emacs/src/emacs --version
  GNU Emacs 30.0.50
  Development version 59c35bf16fbe on master branch; build date 2023-09-04.

  > ~/Source/Emacs/emacs/src/emacs -nw -Q ~/tmp/simple.cpp -f c++-ts-mode

Now just type C-M-f or any C-M-something command.

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (treesit-invalid-predicate nil)
    treesit-node-match-p(#<treesit-node "{" in 1-2> sexp t)
    #f(compiled-function (node) #<bytecode 0x1a160a6a590699e2>)(#<treesit-node "{" in 1-2>)
    treesit-node-match-p(#<treesit-node "{" in 1-2> #f(compiled-function (node) #<bytecode 0x1a160a6a590699e2>) t)
    treesit-node-top-level(#<treesit-node "{" in 1-2> #f(compiled-function (node) #<bytecode 0x1a160a6a590699e2>) t)
    treesit--things-around(5 sexp)
    treesit--navigate-thing(5 -1 beg sexp restricted)
    treesit-beginning-of-thing(sexp 1 restricted)
    treesit-forward-sexp(-1)
    forward-sexp(-1 nil)
    forward-sexp(-1 5)
    backward-sexp(1 5)
    funcall-interactively(backward-sexp 1 5)
    call-interactively(backward-sexp nil nil)
    command-execute(backward-sexp)

simple.cpp can be any C++ file, from a simple

   int main() {return 0;}

to a completely empty file.

When debug-on-error is nil, there is an further error message in
*Messages*, but I don't know what it means:

   Invalid predicate, see `treesit-thing-settings' for valid forms for a predicate: nil [4 times]

I installed my C++ grammar with M-x treesit-install-language-grammar,
entered 'cpp' (treesit's nickname for C++) and everything else default.

The grammar and treesitter seems to be working, I get indentation and
font-locking, for example.

Furthermore I can confirm this same behavior with a version of the
grammar installed today and installed some months ago.

Thanks,
João

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.36, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-09-04 built on krug
Repository revision: 40514ebf7de644bad984acaeb3ea72b973dae18f
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C++//

Minor modes in effect:
  whitespace-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  fido-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Features:
(shadow emacsbug c-ts-mode descr-text ob-ditaa ob-plantuml org-clock
org-colview org-crypt org-ctags org-habit org-mouse org-plot
org-protocol mhtml-mode css-mode sgml-mode facemenu rst htmlize
yas-doc-helper htmlize-autoloads loaddefs-gen lisp-mnt tar-mode arc-mode
archive-mode mm-archive ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match
rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util
ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox
pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu markdown-mode novice edebug js-flymake-eslint js
c-ts-common edmacro kmacro org-element org-persist org-id org-refile
avl-tree oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb
ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi yasnippet-tests org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities noutline outline
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-version org-compat org-macs ert-x ruby-mode yaml-mode vc-hg vc-bzr
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view vc-dir tramp-cache
time-stamp tramp-sh tramp trampver tramp-integration tramp-message
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs tabify eglot external-completion jsonrpc ert
ewoc debug backtrace timezone quail gnus-cite gnus-bcklg sh-script smie
treesit shell pcomplete gnus-async qp gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh
utf-7 nnfolder nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win mailalias smtpmail sort mail-extr shr-color textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
parse-time iso8601 gnutls network-stream url-http url-gw nsm url-cache
url-auth eww xdg url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom
mm-url gnus nnheader range ffap bug-reference dired-aux cl-print
find-func shortdoc comp comp-cstr help-fns radix-tree log-edit message
sendmail yank-media puny dired-x dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec
gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util hippie-exp add-log misearch multi-isearch
smerge-mode diff vc display-line-numbers cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds breadcrumb imenu term/xterm xterm time-date
flymake-proc flymake hideshow whitespace executable vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load wid-edit diminish
git-rebase-mode server yow cookie1 yasnippet wombat-theme hyperspec
sly-autoloads rust-utils rust-mode rx rust-rustfmt rust-playpen
rust-compile rust-cargo epa-file epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
savehist windmove ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util winner icomplete elec-pair delsel
autorevert filenotify erc format-spec erc-backend erc-networks
erc-common erc-compat compat erc-loaddefs ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs auth-source-pass company-oddmuse company-keywords
make-mode company-etags etags fileloop generator xref project
company-gtags files-x company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs beardbolt pulse disass aggressive-indent easy-mmode ack
thingatpt pcase compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color
ring cl-extra help-mode warnings icons xclip finder-inf xt-mouse color
mule-util holy color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow-autoloads
corfu-terminal-autoloads corfu-autoloads compat-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads diminish-autoloads dts-mode-autoloads
go-mode-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads lv-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads popon-autoloads pos-tip-autoloads
pyvenv-autoloads reformatter-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
spinner-autoloads info transient-autoloads xclip-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1068497 236334) (symbols 48 55213 15)
 (strings 32 280969 46949) (string-bytes 1 7753809)
 (vectors 16 147167) (vector-slots 8 2762875 94473)
 (floats 8 1059 16219) (intervals 56 23001 4930) (buffers 992 102))