Subject: bug#65809: mumi: Add msg number and subject in search results when searching for subject:

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:36:43 +0200

Hi Arun,

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry for my late reply.

No problem: async! :-D 

[...]

> In our case, we index entire issues as Xapian documents; we don't index
> each individual email message as its own Xapian document.

Ooh, I understand now!

> This means that an issue is the smallest unit we can address. We
> cannot address each individual email message. So, localizing a subject
> to a specific email message is difficult.

Yes, I see.

> Maybe what you are looking for is some context in the search results to
> know why that particular search result was produced. This can be done by
> displaying a snippet of text from the issue with the search terms
> highlighted. For a working demo of what I mean, see for example,
> https://issues.genenetwork.org/search?query=database&type=all .

Oooh: a live example is more than a thousand words: thanks!
(I'm following Tissue but someway I missed that feature)

> Notice how the search term "database" is highlighted in the search
> results. This is relatively easy to do with Xapian, and indeed I do
> plan to implement this at some point.

OK: can we consider this bug report (wishlist) as the "official" one for
that feature? :-)

Can I retitle it to better reflect the upcoming implementation and
assign it to you?

Actually I dont' know if there is some written or unwritten convention
in Guix or GNU about bug assignment, I don't want to put pressure on
you!

> WDYT? Would this meet your needs?

Yes, absolutely yes: thank you!

Happy hacking! Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures