Subject: bug#65809: mumi: Add msg number and subject in search results when searching for subject:

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:16:41 +0200

Hi!

(I'll also try to retitle this bug, after submitting this update)

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for this feature request! It's always gratifying to know that
> someone is using mumi, especially its more advanced features! :-)

mumi advanced features could be **very** useful to a lot of contributing
activities, if improved a little bit and better understood

>> IMO is useful to be able to search for "subject:foo", it's a different
>> search than searching for foo in the body
>
> It looks like we implement this already. See
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/mumi.git/tree/mumi/xapian.scm#n141
> A search for "subject:foo" should work already.

Uh I missed that code:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

             (index-text! term-generator subjects #:prefix "S")

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

otherwise I could have realize that I was misinterpreting mumi search
output.

If for example I search for 'subject:zoneinfo' I get this results:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

giovanni@roquette [genv]\: mumi search subject:zoneinfo
#31484 [PATCH] gnu: icu4c: Patch zoneinfo directory.
opened on 17 mag 2018 14:58 by Christopher Baines
#57448 ✓ [PATCH 0/5] gnu: exa: Update to 0.10.1.
opened on 27 ago 2022 12:09 by ギャラ
#58614 ✓ [PATCH 000/187] Remove unused crates
opened on 18 ott 2022 22:18 by Efraim Flashner

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
(the mumi CLI output is colored and the separation of each bug is
clearer)

Via web: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=subject%3Azoneinfo

Since 2 of the 3 patch "titles" are missing 'zoneinfo', I thought the
search was done in the subject and in the body, not just the subject.

For example, bug #58614 actually contains a message with this subject:
[PATCH 185/187] gnu: Remove rust-zoneinfo-compiled-0.4.

...my misunderstanding was due to the fact that each tracked bug (issue)
have a /Title/ given by the subject mail header from the original report
or by a retitle [1]; thus Title _is_ different from the "Subject"s of
the rest of the messages in the /thread/ of the tracked bug; when we
consider bugs tracking patches, actually each and every single patch
submission (not the reviews sent by people using a reply-to) do have a
different subject.

When searching for "subject:" it would be useful to have a speficic
message number and subject along with (or in place of) the bug title.

Using the search example above, a more useful result would be:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

giovanni@roquette [genv]\: mumi search subject:zoneinfo
#31484 [PATCH] gnu: icu4c: Patch zoneinfo directory.
opened on 17 mag 2018 14:58 by Christopher Baines

#57448 ✓ [PATCH 0/5] gnu: exa: Update to 0.10.1.
opened on 27 ago 2022 12:09 by ギャラ
[PATCH 4/5] gnu: rust-zoneinfo-compiled: Update to 0.5.1.
sent on 27 Aug 2022 12:10 by gyara

#58614 ✓ [PATCH 000/187] Remove unused crates
opened on 18 ott 2022 22:18 by Efraim Flashner
[PATCH 185/187] gnu: Remove rust-zoneinfo-compiled-0.4.
sent on 18 Oct 2022 22:20 by Efraim Flashner

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I'd also add a blank line to have clear results also with "BW" consoles.

A similar addition would also be useful in the web interface, also
having a link to the message corresponding to the searched subject,
like:

[PATCH 185/187] gnu: Remove rust-zoneinfo-compiled-0.4. -> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/58614#184

Is it doable?

WDYT?

Thanks! Gio'

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/server-control.html

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures