Subject: bug#65805: 30.0.50; quoted-insert doesn't work in zap-to-char

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:14:34 -0400

>> > That's because we switched to using read-from-minibuffer (via
>> > read-char-from-minibuffer) instead of using read-char, for the dubious
>> > benefit of being able to use history in this command, see bug#10477.
>> > And read-from-minibuffer interprets some characters specially.
>> > Stefan, is there a way to have this cake and eat it, too?
>> How 'bout the patch below?

Had a missing `nil`.

> Is this appropriate for emacs-29?

It looks fairly safe, but is it a regression in Emacs-29 or was it
already there in Emacs-28?  If it's not a regression in Emacs-29, I'd
keep it in `master`.

>> AFAICT it would also make it unnecessary to use
>> `read-char-from-minibuffer-insert-char`.
> Not sure I understand what are you proposing here about that function.

`read-char-from-minibuffer-insert-char` is a function which just inserts
a char and then exits the minibuffer.  With my patch,
`self-insert-command` should work as well for that.

        Stefan