Subject: Re: bug#65803: 29.1; Noto Sans Mono CJK JP has doubled-width on Windows

From: Shingo Tanaka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 23:24:55 +0900

Please find attached 2 images.  The frame pixel width with
frame-width=40 & Noto Font is the same as the one with frame-width=80
& Windows Font "ＭＳ ゴシック", meaning the pixel width of Noto Font is
recognized 2x wider than Windows Font, although the actual ascii
characters pixel widths of the two are the same as you can see.  And
you can also see that the (list-buffers) buffer is unaligned around
"Size" column and "Mode" column with Noto Font, which should probably
the wrong pixel width recognition as you can see the space between
"Buffer" column and "Size" column is too long.

If there is any further information needed, Please let me know.

2023年9月7日(木) 22:50 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:
>
> > From: Shingo Tanaka <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 22:38:32 +0900
> >
> > (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "Noto Sans Mono CJK JP")
> > makes frame pixel width 2x larger than ascii char width on Windows
> > 10/11.  This also makes tabulated-list unaligned as you can see in
> > (list-buffers).
>
> Thanks, but what do you mean by "ascii char width"?  Do you mean that
> character glyphs on Noto Sans Mono CJK JP are two times wider than
> ASCII characters of some other font?  If so, why is it a problem that
> glyphs of one font are wider than glyphs of another?
>
> Or maybe I misunderstand the issue?  Could you post a screenshot of
> the display with mis-aligned buffer list, so we could see what you are
> talking about?