Subject: bug#65790: 29.1; "docstring wider than 80 characters" when there is no docstring

From: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 11:30:10 +0200

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> How else will we/you know there's a potential problem there?

my opinion is that if more than 80 characters in a docstring is a
problem then the macro should make sure not to generate one.

> If you think you can do nothing about this problem, just ignore the
> warning.  It's just a warning.

I hate warnings: either a problem is important and I want the build to
fail or there is no problem and I don't want to see anything. If I let
warnings exist then the ones I want to ignore will slowly be too
numerous for me to notice those I would like to fix.

This is why in my tool chain (makel) I'm always setting
`byte-compile-error-on-warn' to t and I do similar things in non
elisp-projects.

This is just my opinion.

Best

-- 
Damien Cassou

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill