Subject: Re: bug#65790: 29.1; "docstring wider than 80 characters" when there is no docstring

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 01:52:00 -0700

Damien Cassou <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have this piece of code:
>
> (cl-defstruct (json-process-client-application
>                (:constructor json-process-client--application-create)
>                (:conc-name json-process-client--application-))
>   message-callbacks)
>
> In GNU Emacs 29.1, "Warning: docstring wider than 80 characters" even
> though I wrote no docstring here. I understand the problem lies in the
> generated code and I agree the lisp names in my code are long. But, I
> don't think the byte compiler should annoy me about docstrings I didn't
> write.
>
> What do you think?

Yes, it would be nice not to get that warning.  I fixed many such
problems when I first added the warning about long docstrings.

Patches welcome.

PS. As a work-around, you can set `byte-compile-docstring-max-column'.