Subject: bug#65771: 29.1; yank-pop behaviour description in info

From: Daniel Vianna <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 13:36:35 +1000

Started emacs with `emacs -Q`
 C-h i, then browsed to Emacs Intro Tutorial, 10.3 Exercises with Yank and
nthcdr

I believe the behaviour of `yank-pop` (M-y) changed from the behaviour
described
in the tutorial. It gives options for autocompletion rather than cycling
the values within
the `kill-ring` variable. It would be desirable to rewrite that exercise to
reflect the actual
behaviour of the emacs interface.

Of further interest is that `kill-ring` now stores more than just the
strings, but also
many font properties. I believe this should be noted in the tutorial, so it
doesn't confuse
readers.

Cheers, Daniel.

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-07-28 built on jabuticaba
Repository revision: c2d95dd00e6cb0abaf4e7550f38c8c2c9ca22f2d
Repository branch: emacs-29
System Description: Fedora Linux 38 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/dmvianna/.local --without-pop
 --with-mailutils --with-pgtk --without-x --with-xwidgets --with-cairo
 --without-compress-install --with-native-compilation --with-json
 --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff
 --with-webp --with-gpm --with-modules --with-harfbuzz
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date pp cl-print
byte-opt completion thingatpt help-fns radix-tree cl-loaddefs comp
comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode
bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87589 6380)
 (symbols 48 7542 0)
 (strings 32 22801 1813)
 (string-bytes 1 651567)
 (vectors 16 16272)
 (vector-slots 8 344529 13461)
 (floats 8 33 41)
 (intervals 56 308 1)
 (buffers 984 12))