Subject: bug#65734: [BUG] kill-whole-line on folded subtrees [9.6.8 (release_9.6.8-3-g21171d @ /home/w/usr/emacs/0/29/0/lisp/org/)]

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:50:10 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Then, we discussed that Emacs commands to not always provide enough
>> toggles. So, I am asking to add one in this thread.
>
> I don't think I understand what kind of toggle are we talking about.

What I would like to request is a way to handle the following situation:

* Heading<... few hundreds of lines of invisible text>

If the user calls `kill-whole-line', a large part of the buffer will get
deleted. We had complains from the users about accidentally deleting a
lot of text in Org files in such situations.

So, I'd like some way to configure `kill-whole-line'/`kill-line' to warn
user about killing hidden text when we detect that we are deleting a
folded heading. Something like:

   (y-or-n-p "Kill hidden subtree along with headline? ")

I believe that it might be useful in other situations as well. Like in
outline-mode or outline-minor-mode.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>