Subject: bug#65734: [BUG] kill-whole-line on folded subtrees [9.6.8 (release_9.6.8-3-g21171d @ /home/w/usr/emacs/0/29/0/lisp/org/)]

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:26:08 -0500

>> I said that remapping widely-used keys to commands that behave
>> significantly differently places a non-trivial burden on users,
>> especially on those who use the remapping mode relatively rarely.
>
> Sure. From which I concluded that Org mode should avoid remapping

I don't think that's what it means.  It means that it depends on what is
the end-user-visible effect.  If the remapped version of the command
"does the same" conceptually, then it's OK (even more so if the
non-remapped version of the command ends up misbehaving).

I think the main question is: can we expect that some users out there
will want to use the non-remapped version of the command because they
prefer its behavior?

So, when the alternative is to directly modify the behavior of the
non-remapped command, remapping is always acceptable.
[ But sometimes, remapping just doesn't do what we want, because the
  command is also used as a function from other places.  ]

        Stefan