Subject: [bug#65730] [bug#65600] [PATCH] Allow parameters AM_PROG_LEX

From: "Zack Weinberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2023 15:49:45 -0400

> Karl Berry <[email-masked]>, Fri Sep 01 2023 00:28:04 GMT+0200
> (Central European Summer Time)
>> Bogdan: I will adjust the patch, one way or another. Nothing more for
>> you to do here after all :). --thanks, karl.

Karl: The same problem was also reported as bug 65730, with a patch
supplied by Łukasz Stelmach.  That patch is preferable to Bogdan's
patch, for two reasons.  First, Łukasz's patch uses $@ to forward *all*
arguments to AC_PROG_LEX, regardless of what they are, making it robust
to the possibility of *more* arguments being added to AC_PROG_LEX in the
future (for example, we might decide to add an option to specify that
you need Flex specifically).  Second, Łukasz's patch checks whether
AC_PROG_LEX has already been invoked, and if so does not run it again.
That makes the updated AM_PROG_LEX continue to be compatible with the
workaround we (Autoconf) have been suggesting for this issue, namely
to write

AC_PROG_LEX([noyywrap])
AM_PROG_LEX

It looks like Bogdan's patch does include a new set of tests that are
worth preserving, but please use Łukasz's actual code change.  (I regret
I cannot volunteer to merge the two patches as I am in the middle of
reinstalling the operating system on my workstation, and that's already
taken a week and a half with no end in sight.  You know how these things
go, I'm sure.)

zw