Subject: bug#65720: Guile-Git-managed checkouts grow way too much

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 19:09:54 +0200

Hi!

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Tue, 05 Sep 2023 at 16:18, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> It would also be pretty bad for closure size:
>>
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> $ guix size guile-git | tail -1
>> total: 106.6 MiB
>> $ guix size guile-git git-minimal | tail -1
>> total: 169.8 MiB
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>> It’s also not clear concretely how we’d add that dependency.  Try
>> invoking ‘git’ from $PATH and print a warning if it doesn’t work?
>> But then, what about applications like Cuirass and hpcguix-web?
>
> I think we can rely on something like,
>
>     guix shell -C git-minimal -- git gc

We’re talking about the implementation of a cache (meant to speed up
operations), that would actually fill said cache plus do a whole bunch
of expensive operations?  Nah.  :-)

Ludo’.