Subject: bug#65704: closed (Re: bug#65704: 29.1; Most code of `project-ignores' seems to be dead code)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 21:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65704: 29.1; Most code of `project-ignores' seems to be dead code

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65704: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65704
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65704: 29.1; Most code of `project-ignores' seems to be dead code
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 00:16:42 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 06/09/2023 22:12, Damien Cassou wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>  writes:
>> diff --git a/lisp/progmodes/project.el b/lisp/progmodes/project.el
>> index 29a81c7e151..2eea0ef72e0 100644
>> --- a/lisp/progmodes/project.el
>> +++ b/lisp/progmodes/project.el
>> @@ -566,6 +566,12 @@ project-try-vc
>>                   (project--submodule-p root))
>>              (let* ((parent (file-name-directory (directory-file-name
>> root))))
>>                (setq root (vc-call-backend 'Git 'root parent))))
>> +        (when (not backend)
> it seems that `root' is sometimes nil at this point so I would change
> this line to
> 
>    (when (and (not backend) root)
> 
> I've used this for the day and it seems to work fine.

Thanks for the extra testing.

I just moved the new code a little deeper down inside (when root ...) 
block, should do the same. Pushed as 62229fb2d11 and bumped project.el 
version to 0.10.0.

Should be out in ELPA shortly along with a few other new features added 
recently.

This seems to resolve the last of the concerns here, so closing the bug 
as well. Please clarify if something remains.

Addendum regarding the chosen solution: I guess there is a downside or 
two: when working over Tramp, the latency will increase. And if the 
subproject's dir is in the parent's .gitignore, the behavior will get worse.

Let's wait for feedback to see if those are real problems, but worst 
case, the solution which you had used previously should take care at 
least of the second usage scenario (ignoring the ignores).

Subject: 29.1; Most code of `project-ignores' seems to be dead code
From: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 18:03:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

The function `project-ignores' starts like this:

  (cl-defmethod project-ignores ((project (head vc)) dir)
    (let* ((root (nth 2 project))
           backend)
      (append
       (when (and backend
                  (file-equal-p dir root))

It seems to me that `backend' is always going to be nil at this point
and thus the 25-line long `when' block will always return nil without
doing anything.

Am I missing something?

This code seems to have been introduced in commit
785fa801596ad7bb9f838cac865f00de29e253d1 "New user option:
project-vc-extra-root-markers".

Best

-- 
Damien Cassou

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill