Subject: bug#65702: closed (Re: bug#65702: 30.0.50; compile-command not honored in shell buffers)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 08:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65702: 30.0.50; compile-command not honored in shell buffers

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65702: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65702
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65702: 30.0.50; compile-command not honored in shell buffers
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Matthias Meulien <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 11:04:52 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Matthias Meulien <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 09:30:04 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Aren't directory-local variables in effect only in file-visiting
> > buffers?  The shell buffer created by "C-x p s" doesn't visit a file,
> > so I think directory-local variables are not in effect for it.
> 
> Oh thank you!  I now understand, I should have realized that the same
> behavior is observable in *xref*, or *Occur* buffers.  Thank you Eli.
> Sorry for the annoyance. 
> 
> I'll override 'project-compile' in order to use the 'compile-command'
> set for the project-root directory.  It'll be ok for my use case.

No problem, I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; compile-command not honored in shell buffers
From: Matthias Meulien <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 15:39:20 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I customize the default compile command using directory local
variables. For example, with a '.dir-locals' containing the following:

;;; Directory Local Variables            -*- no-byte-compile: t -*-
;;; For more information see (info "(emacs) Directory Variables")

((nil . ((compilation-search-path . (nil "builddir"))
	 (compile-command . "meson setup builddir . --cross-file crossfile_arm.ini ; pushd builddir && meson compile ; popd")
	 (compilation-environment . ("TERM=ansi"))
	 (ispell-local-dictionary . "en")
	 (project-vc-merge-submodules . nil)))
 (c++-mode . ((c-basic-offset . 2)
	      (indent-tabs-mode . nil))))

When I enter the *vc-dir* buffer for the corresponding Git local
repository, and I press 'C-x p c' ('project-compile' command) then the
default compile command has the value specified in the previous
'.dir-locals.el'.

Same with 'meson.build', 'README.md', '*.cc', '*.h', etc. files.

But when 'project-compile' is called from a shell buffer after I pressed
'C-x p s' then the default compile command is 'make -k'.  This is
strange and looks like a bug to my eyes.

(I successfully reproduced from 'emacs -Q').

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.37, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-08-30 built on carbon
Repository revision: 297ccd967f24e37bc51c057da43c862291a55ddd
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  hexl-follow-ascii: t
  goto-address-mode: t
  highlight-changes-visible-mode: t
  breadcrumb-mode: t
  minions-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  comint-fontify-input-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-layout-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/matthias/.config/emacs/elpa/dictionary-20201001.1727/dictionary hides /usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/net/dictionary

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug pcmpl-gnu shortdoc comp comp-cstr cl-print
help-fns ediff-ptch ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ffap conf-mode restclient ox-odt
ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox
oc-basic org-element org-persist org-id avl-tree ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view jka-compr ol-bibtex
bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi kmacro quail rect align
pcmpl-git eudc eudc-vars mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum tabify cus-start ert-x compat-macs
loaddefs-gen radix-tree tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode mm-archive
package-vc lisp-mnt gnutls network-stream url-cache url-http url-auth
url-gw nsm finder-inf mule-util novice dabbrev pcmpl-unix pulse log-edit
add-log grep misearch multi-isearch hexl make-mode generic flyspell rst
rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc
xmltok meson-mode whitespace tramp-cache time-stamp goto-addr vc-hg
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util
image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util
image-mode exif man eww url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg
dom mm-url hl-line yasnippet-snippets yasnippet smerge-mode diff
hideshow js sh-script smie executable vc-dir vc flymake-cc cwarn
cap-words superword subword dired-aux display-line-numbers hilit-chg
c-ts-mode c-ts-common eglot external-completion jsonrpc flymake-proc
flymake ert ewoc debug backtrace warnings compile breadcrumb imenu
modus-operandi-tinted-theme modus-themes company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator xref
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb ob-python python project treesit cl-extra
minions compat company pcase carbon-custom cus-edit cus-load gnus-demon
nntp gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 gnus-spec gnus-win nnoo gnus-int
gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
gnus-dired dired-x dired dired-loaddefs org-capture org-refile org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys
oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-compat
org-version org-macs dictionary link connection advice markdown-mode
color thingatpt noutline outline icons skeleton find-file vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher ispell desktop frameset server
bookmark text-property-search pp pixel-scroll cua-base saveplace
tramp-sh tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message
help-mode tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ring
parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec ansi-color tramp-loaddefs
elec-pair icomplete so-long autorevert filenotify autoinsert cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs generic-x face-remap breadcrumb-autoloads caml-autoloads
company-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads debbugs-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads flymake-easy-autoloads git-link-autoloads
go-mode-autoloads mallard-mode-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
minions-autoloads compat-autoloads modus-themes-autoloads
proof-general-autoloads proof-site proof-autoloads
restclient-jq-autoloads jq-mode-autoloads restclient-autoloads
rfc-mode-autoloads mmm-mode-autoloads terraform-mode-autoloads info
dash-autoloads hcl-mode-autoloads typescript-mode-autoloads
yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1355808 206303) (symbols 48 49861 9)
 (strings 32 213796 6304) (string-bytes 1 6773049) (vectors 16 108792)
 (vector-slots 8 2137202 94939) (floats 8 751 3676)
 (intervals 56 122749 17311) (buffers 992 208))