Subject: bug#65685: 29.1; Inconsistent behavior of quoted file name "/:~" across platforms

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 09:11:19 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> >> The only difference I could think of is that the directory Emacs uses
>> >> here has whitespace in its name (see my original report), whereas on
>> >> Windows 10 it probably doesn't.
>> >
>> > FTR, if I use a directory with spaces in its name, it fails for me as
>> > well. I'm now debugging ...
>>
>> It looks, like it is a problem in the test case code
>> itself. abbreviate-file-name does not work as I expect in this
>> combination.
>
> Can you tell more about this?  I'm surprised any file-related
> primitive in Emacs cares about whitespace in file names.

Perhaps we have uncovered a bug in abbreviate-file-name, don't
know. I'll check when time permits.

However, it isn't related to the change in question of this bug report,
handling expand-file-name for constructs like "/:~..." and
"/ssh:host:/:~...".  abbreviate-file-name has been used to create a
temporary test file for this case, it isn't target of the test itself.

Best regards, Michael.