Subject: bug#65679: Request to cut new automake release to include new pythons

From: Sergei Trofimovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:46:54 +0100

Hi automake developers!

Projects using automake build system occasionally get bug reports that
python 3.11 and above do not get automatically detected by

    AM_PATH_PYTHON([3.7])

Recent example: https://github.com/skvadrik/re2c/issues/456

It was fixed a while ago in 

     https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/automake.git/commit/?id=930a9a73f4bb776ec334eff4cf6e182802841daa

  python: add 3.10 - 3.15 to the version search list
    Fixes automake bug https://bugs.gnu.org/53530.
    
    Based on the cadence of Automake releases, add the current Python
    release (3.10), the current Python development (3.11), and then 4
    more versions on top of that.  It doesn't hurt to check for a few
    extra versions here since this is the fallback logic when the main
    `python` and `python3` programs aren't found.
    
    * m4/python.m4: Add python3.10 - python3.15.
    * NEWS: Mention new Python versions.

WDYT of cutting new `automake` that includes this fix? Then projects
could start cutting release tarballs that Just Work for such systems.

Thanks

-- 

  Sergei