Subject: bug#65679: closed (Re: bug#65679: Request to cut new automake release to include new pythons)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 22:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65679: Request to cut new automake release to include new pythons

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65679: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65679
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65679: Request to cut new automake release to include new pythons
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 16:05:28 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

    WDYT of cutting new `automake` that includes this fix? Then projects
    could start cutting release tarballs that Just Work for such systems.

Agreed we need to make a new automake release asap, but unfortunately
the code is not ready. Releasing it would cause more problems than it
would solve.

If Jim (the main Automake maintainer) wants to cut a release with just
that fix, I have nothing against it, but it sounds like a lot of work
for one relatively small bug. I suspect it would lead to a deluge of bug
reports (especially Python-related) for things that have already been
fixed.

At present I am the main bottleneck, but I can't work faster than I am,
which is quite slowly. If another Automake(/Perl/etc.)-savvy volunteer
came forward to help with development, that would be great. Until then,
I and the other people working on Automake continue to progress as best
we can. --thanks, karl.

Subject: Request to cut new automake release to include new pythons
From: Sergei Trofimovich <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:46:54 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi automake developers!

Projects using automake build system occasionally get bug reports that
python 3.11 and above do not get automatically detected by

    AM_PATH_PYTHON([3.7])

Recent example: https://github.com/skvadrik/re2c/issues/456

It was fixed a while ago in 

     https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/automake.git/commit/?id=930a9a73f4bb776ec334eff4cf6e182802841daa

  python: add 3.10 - 3.15 to the version search list
    Fixes automake bug https://bugs.gnu.org/53530.
    
    Based on the cadence of Automake releases, add the current Python
    release (3.10), the current Python development (3.11), and then 4
    more versions on top of that.  It doesn't hurt to check for a few
    extra versions here since this is the fallback logic when the main
    `python` and `python3` programs aren't found.
    
    * m4/python.m4: Add python3.10 - python3.15.
    * NEWS: Mention new Python versions.

WDYT of cutting new `automake` that includes this fix? Then projects
could start cutting release tarballs that Just Work for such systems.

Thanks

-- 

  Sergei