Subject: Re: [bug#65668] [PATCH] gnu: gst-plugins-bad: Remove the svt-hevc input.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 10:49:28 -0400

Hi Liliana,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> It's not possible to build svt-hevc without those extensions: they
>> are depended upon.  Because it can't be used, I think it makes sense
>> to not leave dead code (since it's not going to be resolved in the
>> future and re-enabled).
> Looking at the code of svt-hevc, these additional libraries appear to
> be just adding versions of the methods already implemented in C.
>
> You might want to look into commenting the following lines
>
> add_subdirectory(ASM_SSE2)
> add_subdirectory(ASM_SSSE3)
> add_subdirectory(ASM_SSE4_1)
> add_subdirectory(ASM_AVX2)

>From my understanding and per upstream comments linked earlier, svt-hevc
is all about implementing some video codec using latest Intel
technologies.  The project synopsis on Github reads:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- SVT
HEVC encoder. Scalable Video Technology (SVT) is a software-based video
coding technology that is highly optimized for Intel® Xeon® processors
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So I don't think it can be made to work (at least usefully) on older
processors, and it's explicitly an upstream non-goal.

[...]

> Well, I'd rather keep the svt-hevc issue above open than concluding it
> cannot be done, but otherwise, yes, LGTM.

I think it's safe to conclude that it cannot be done, given what I've
written above.  Does it make sense?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim