Subject: 30.0.50; mode-line-compact breaks minor mode help

From: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:10:42 +0200

When setting the mode-line-compact variable to a non-nil value, mouse-2
for minor modes is broken.

To reproduce:

$ emacs -Q
M-x set-variable RET mode-line-compact RET t RET

Move the mouse pointer to the "ElDoc" lighter in the mode line and press
the mouse-2 button.

Actual result:
An error is signalled:
describe-minor-mode-from-indicator: Cannot find minor mode for ‘(Lisp Interaction ElDoc) ’

Expected result:
Help for eldoc-mode being shown.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.17.8) of 2023-08-31 built on localhost
Repository revision: b71beb7ae7c60a5c5af608420d28fdda5265a264
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-30.0.9999
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-30.0.9999/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-30-vcs --includedir=/usr/include/emacs-30-vcs
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-30-vcs --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-pdumper --enable-acl
 --enable-xattr --with-dbus --with-modules --with-gameuser=:gamestat
 --with-libgmp --with-gpm --with-native-compilation=aot --without-json
 --without-kerberos --without-kerberos5 --with-lcms2 --with-xml2
 --without-mailutils --without-selinux --without-sqlite3 --with-gnutls
 --without-libsystemd --with-threads --without-tree-sitter
 --without-wide-int --with-sound=alsa --with-zlib --with-x
 --without-pgtk --without-ns --without-gconf --with-gsettings
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-xpm --with-xft --with-cairo
 --with-harfbuzz --with-libotf --with-m17n-flt --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xaw3d --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff
 --without-webp --with-imagemagick --with-dumping=pdumper
 'CFLAGS=-march=native -ggdb -O2 -pipe' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--as-needed''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XAW3D
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: POSIX
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date cus-edit pp
wid-edit cus-start cus-load comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx
cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra bytecomp byte-compile thingatpt help-fns
radix-tree help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 104194 22405) (symbols 48 8998 0) (strings 32 25374 1906)
 (string-bytes 1 727825) (vectors 16 17357)
 (vector-slots 8 353541 14123) (floats 8 48 41) (intervals 56 358 0)
 (buffers 984 12))