Subject: bug#65664: closed (Re: bug#65664: 30.0.50; mode-line-compact breaks minor mode help)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 10:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65664: 30.0.50; mode-line-compact breaks minor mode help

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65664: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65664
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65664: 30.0.50; mode-line-compact breaks minor mode help
From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
To: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 18:25:57 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>>> On Fri, 01 Sep 2023, Po Lu wrote:
>
>> Thanks, this should now be fixed.
>
> I can confirm that I no longer see the problem with current master.

Closing.  Thanks for testing.

Subject: 30.0.50; mode-line-compact breaks minor mode help
From: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:10:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When setting the mode-line-compact variable to a non-nil value, mouse-2
for minor modes is broken.

To reproduce:

$ emacs -Q
M-x set-variable RET mode-line-compact RET t RET

Move the mouse pointer to the "ElDoc" lighter in the mode line and press
the mouse-2 button.

Actual result:
An error is signalled:
describe-minor-mode-from-indicator: Cannot find minor mode for ‘(Lisp Interaction ElDoc) ’

Expected result:
Help for eldoc-mode being shown.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.17.8) of 2023-08-31 built on localhost
Repository revision: b71beb7ae7c60a5c5af608420d28fdda5265a264
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-30.0.9999
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-30.0.9999/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-30-vcs --includedir=/usr/include/emacs-30-vcs
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-30-vcs --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-pdumper --enable-acl
 --enable-xattr --with-dbus --with-modules --with-gameuser=:gamestat
 --with-libgmp --with-gpm --with-native-compilation=aot --without-json
 --without-kerberos --without-kerberos5 --with-lcms2 --with-xml2
 --without-mailutils --without-selinux --without-sqlite3 --with-gnutls
 --without-libsystemd --with-threads --without-tree-sitter
 --without-wide-int --with-sound=alsa --with-zlib --with-x
 --without-pgtk --without-ns --without-gconf --with-gsettings
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-xpm --with-xft --with-cairo
 --with-harfbuzz --with-libotf --with-m17n-flt --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xaw3d --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff
 --without-webp --with-imagemagick --with-dumping=pdumper
 'CFLAGS=-march=native -ggdb -O2 -pipe' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--as-needed''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XAW3D
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: POSIX
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date cus-edit pp
wid-edit cus-start cus-load comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx
cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra bytecomp byte-compile thingatpt help-fns
radix-tree help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 104194 22405) (symbols 48 8998 0) (strings 32 25374 1906)
 (string-bytes 1 727825) (vectors 16 17357)
 (vector-slots 8 353541 14123) (floats 8 48 41) (intervals 56 358 0)
 (buffers 984 12))